Vehicle suspensions (DIN020)
This course has the following objectives:
- To introduce the terminology and quantities related to the design of suspensions;
- To introduce the fundamental concepts of the project of suspension;
- To present the methodology for suspension design;
- To illustrate the presented concepts with case studies.
- Definition of vertical dynamics
- Main physical quantities related to the vertical dynamics
- Description of road irregularities
- Eventual irregularities
- Inherent irregularities
- Preliminary design of vehicle suspensions
- Vehicle models
- Initial considerations for the design of suspensions
- Determination of basic frequencies
- Effects of the main design parameters
- Geometry of suspensions
- Types of suspensions
- Analysis of the geometry of suspensions
- Front view analysis
- Lateral view analysis
- Top view analysis
- Gillespie, T.D. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics, 1992.
- Costa, A. Apostila Dinâmica Veicular, 2003.
- Bastow, D. & Howard, G. Car Suspension and Handling, 3rd edition, 1993.
- Manual “Running Analyses in ADAMS/Car”.
- Rill, G. Simulation Von Kraftfahrzeugen, 1994.